VITA Income Tax Assistance – Wednesday, February 26
MacElwee Room – 4th floor
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free tax help to qualified individuals. To be eligible, your household income must have been $56,000 or less in 2019, and you can’t have earned income from a rental property. If you or a household member were self-employed, business expenses must have been less than $25,000.
Check with your supervisor first, then sign up for a time slot below. Please plan for a one-hour appointment, although most appointments will take 30 minutes. If attending during your work hours, you will be permitted to take the time you need for this appointment.
Be sure to bring all required documents relevant to you, such as:
- Photo ID for you and/or spouse if filing jointly
- Social Security Cards or ITIN Letters for every member of your family (if you do not have a card for every member of your family – you must contact the social security administration to replace card prior to having taxes prepared)
- W-2’s and/or 1099’s from ALL of your jobs worked in 2019
- Health Insurance Documents – If you signed-up for health insurance through the CT Marketplace, you must bring all tax documents that you receive from the Marketplace (if you received form 1095A it is REQUIRED to complete your tax return) (forms 1095A, B or C)
- Unemployment Compensation (form 1099G)
- If self-employed, any related business expenses
- Interest/Dividend statements from your financial institutions (if applicable) (forms 1099 INT, 1099DIV)
- Tuition and student loan information (if applicable) (form 1098T or 1098E)
- Documentation from your daycare provider (their SSN or EIN) if you paid for child care in 2019
- If you own a home, your annual mortgage information.
- If you itemized your return last year, your state of CT refund information (last year’s tax return)
- A record of any taxes paid to the town (property taxes, automobile, etc.)
- Records of any charitable donations that you made (monetary or other)
- Any other income information or IRS notices that you received
- Copy of your last year’s tax return
- Please note: If you would like to direct deposit, please bring a voided check from your checking account or the account and routing number for your savings account